Saturday 14 July 2012

For the Love of Reading


I love to read. As a mom, nothing quite rivals that moment of silence when the kids are asleep at the end of a long day, and I can sit down with a cup of tea and a good book.

My first novel.
Of course, when I’m in the middle of writing a novel, I abstain from reading; it gets confusing. But that does not stop me from buying books! When I’m writing a novel, I still browse the Romance isle of a bookstore or look online for the latest releases, and add any good finds to my “to-be-read” pile. When I’m done writing and editing, I will happily read through every single book that I purchased. Oh what a wonderful time that is!

As you may have guessed, I’m a Romance reader (and writer). Historical Romance to be precise. Although it is not all that I’ve read, it is generally what I prefer to read. I enjoy the adventure, the steam, the dictates of society in Regency England, the settings, and the fashion. Quite frankly, I think it is safe to say that there is nothing that I do not like about novels set in the Regency era.
Some of my favorite Historical Romance authors include Sabrina Jeffries, Celeste Bradley, Suzanne Enoch, Karen Hawkins, Lisa Kleypas, and Tracy Anne Warren. They are all excellent at writing Historical Romance. In fact, most of these women are part of a blog I follow, called The Goddess Blogs; check it out, it's good fun!



Like I mentioned, Romance is not all I read. I am very much enamored of ‘classic’ novels/writings, such as the work of Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, the Bronte sisters, Daniel Defoe, and the works of Shakespeare. I also quite enjoyed the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling.

So now I ask you: What genre of books do you generally enjoy? Who are your favourite authors? Any tips on books that are a good read?

2 comments:

  1. I like the classics, too. I also read a wide variety of other genres, including forensic mysteries like those by Kathy Reichs, adventures like those by Clive Cussler, and fantasy & scifi by Anne MacCaffrey. There are a couple of local mystery writers that I like: Karen Dudley (with titles like 'Hoot To Kill', 'Ptarmigeddon' and 'The Macaws of Death', what's not to love?) and Allison Preston who writes stories set in a familiar neighbourhood in my city ('The Rain Barrel Baby', 'Cherry Bites', & 'Geranium Girls'), to name but a few of my favourites. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds really interesting! I like forensic mysteries, but I can't read them that often... they give me nightmares. It's unfortunate, because I find them so very fascinating! I'll give these authors a look, though! Thank you!

      Delete