Wednesday 4 July 2012

Sleeplessness


The past two mornings I have found myself exhausted. Not simply because I stayed up too late or haven’t had my morning cup of English Breakfast, but because for some unknown reason, I could not sleep. I fell asleep just fine, but sometime in the middle of the night, my mind decided to turn on, regardless of how tired my body felt.

I lay there staring bleary-eyed at the ceiling and thought of all the things that I had done that day and of all the things that I needed to get done the next. I continued to tell myself “don’t worry about this now, you need to get some sleep. Go to sleep. Go to sleep! Just close your eyes and stop thinking.” Yeah. Right.

My mind quite enjoyed keeping me awake with senseless thoughts and ridiculous worries. “Did I remember to call that friend back? Yes, yes. Did I put the milk back in the fridge? Yes. Did I put the boys’ blankets on before bed? Yes. Are all the windows closed?” The list goes on.

And so, this morning I find that I am completely useless. I tried to continue writing my next novel, and I simply stared at my computer screen instead. The phone rang and I answered my TV remote. My sons somehow had interchangeable names, and half of what I have said came out as mumbled gibberish.

Sigh.

And so I ask you this: Does this ever happen to you? If so, how do you turn your mind off and get back to sleep?

2 comments:

  1. More times than I care to remember! I've heard that writing down the things that you need to remember for the next day helps. Often I'm too tired to get out of bed or don't want to disturb Hubby, so I just lie awake, hoping I won't forget anything. When I do get up and write things down, it does seem to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. I couldn't possibly muster the energy required to write my thoughts down, I just hope I'll remember it in the morning. Most times I don't, but there is the odd occasion that I will.

      I might try that, though, the next time I have difficulty shutting my mind off. I hope it works!

      Delete